Future Search Purpose
A SEARCH FOR THE COMMON GROUND
- Finding common ground – representative stakeholders all in the same room
- Defining a preferred future – what we want the organization to become
- Giving direction to what we do
- Historical Scan - what we recognize to be important about our history
- Future Trends - what we see coming at us in the future
- Prouds and Sorries - what we know is working and what we wish were different in our schools
- Guiding Beliefs - what we will use to make out decisions
- Vision - our picture of what we want education to be in our schools
- A shared vision – what do we want to be in 5-10 years
- Conversations rich in shared meaning about what is valued – a sense of ownership
- A set of themes that provide the basis for a strategic plan – now we know the direction we want to head in, so how do we get there?
- A group of supporters willing to be involved in the future of the organization – an opportunity to "sign on"
- Everyone heading "generally west"
- Can make tough financial decisions based on the long range direction
- The long range direction can be articulated to stakeholders inside and outside the organization
- Becomes the basis for planning strategically